Tuesday, April 28

What are little boys made of....

You know the poem...well I raised two GIRLS. These boys are a hoot and a half! Last week, while at my house, Garrett caught his first lizard. In Grandma Land that is quite a happening (hence the piccy). I am excited to be a part of all of the firsts in their little lives and catching a lizard is no exception. Not just because it is a first but also because I happen to like lizards. I did find out something I never knew...in God's perfect creation, He made lizard tails segmented, so when a predator bites at their tails, with intent of eating them, the tail breaks off. They grow new ones like we grow finger nails I guess. How did I find out about this amazing little detail in life? Well, I asked to hold the first ever caught a lizard. As I was showing Dillon how to hold it...it jumped. Having the OH SO QUICK reflexes I do, I caught the slimy creature partly by the tail. I say partly because had I had just the tail he would have escaped; Nope, he didn't get away but his tail did fall onto the ground where it continued to squiggle for several minutes. I suggested that maybe Dillon should try to hold the now detached tail at which point I heard a very squimish, "Ughhh" behind me. Seems my daughter was not too impressed that the tail came off and was making disco moves on the welcome mat!

Fast forward about three days to Sunday afternoon at our house. The Cuellar boys were visiting and yes all four boys went on a lizard hunt and sure enough Garrett caught another one. He put him in a little zippered case he had. Soon they also found a cricket to join their cold blooded friend. About an hour later Gare came in and told us he was a bit worried about his lizard because he had a scratch on his eye and in fact maybe his eye was poked out. Again I hear the now familiar, "Ughhh" from his mom. Aunt Boo went out to investigate (she loves gore) and came back to inform that the eye was still intact and it really looked like a scratch with "just a bit of blood".

We pretty much forgot about the lizard until it was time for the Shaw family to head home later that night. Nicole reminded Garrett to go out back and release his lizard into the yard. Out he went. He came back in and said the little lizard must be very tired `cause he wouldn't wake up. "Mommy, he is doing just what he did earlier when I put him on my arm. He just sat there and didn't move". Good lizard?? Trained? Scared? We adults exchanged looks of knowing the fate of the poor guy. Nicole ushered Garrett to the car assuring him Papa would wake the lizard up and let him go. Papa went to the patio to check on the ill fated reptile. It was deceased he came back and told us. I once again hear the now all too familiar, "Ughh". "What do we do now?" my daughter asks. "Go home" I told her.

Let's fast forward to Monday morning...OK truth, afternoon, I go out onto the back patio to water my flowers. As I take my third step I freeze...why is that little lizard not scurrying out of my way?? Because Men are still little boys, that's why! I was certain to thank my husband for confirming the death of the lizard and NOT disposing of his cold little body so I could almost step on it!! I am now considering letting it dry out completely and then mosaicking it...

No comments:

Post a Comment