Wednesday, April 1

Salty, Harbor Dreams...


A blustery day! I know it is blowing hard out there because I can hear my favorite wind chime clanging a beautiful melody. I bought it on a road trip with "Sam". We were in Bishop, on the way to Boise to see my mom. We stopped at a craft fair in the park and we passed a vendor who had these beautiful metal chimes. As we went by we heard it clang and it sounded just like the boats in a harbor, in the breeze. If you have been to a harbor you know the sound...I can close my eyes and I am there. I soooo love the ocean!

We were blessed to be able to spend a week or two every summer at my mom's condo in Oceanside when my girls were growing up. We would always spend at least one afternoon at the harbor there. The fish and chips are to die for! "Sam" and I have made a few trips to shop and eat there too. She loves the ocean as much as I do!

To this day we still go, as a larger family now, to the Oceanside condo and to the harbor.
I know my girls cherish the memories we made at "our" beach. And now they share memory making with their kids and husbands on the sand and at the harbor. Meemaw and Papa sit on the beach in chairs wearing hats and smiling at the memories and present fun.

So I had to buy the wind chime. The wind and sun here are reckless and uncaring in their eventual destruction of anything left outside. I knew when I saw this big metal piece that it would be safe hanging on my patio. I didn't know it would take me away so often, to places I so love being!

I can seriously close my eyes and smell the salt air and hear the water lapping on the sides of the boats in the harbor, seagulls mine mining in the back ground. Ahhhhh take me away....

I am at my Gram's house in Tiburon, California. It was a wonderful house on a lagoon just across the bay from San Francisco. The house was next to the Yacht Club where small boats were tied up, so many colors and sizes. I can go from there to the wonderful Fisherman's Wharf in The City by the Bay...my honeymoon with my beloved, walking amongst the fishing boats and musing about the their mystical names. Newport Harbor with it's huge yachts docked in expensive holds. Taking the car ferry with my friend from there to Balboa Island just to do it! Catalina Harbor and boats of all sizes and conditions moored in the Harbor, eating fish and chips and drinking a beer with Sam on one of our girl getaways. Oh and Boston Harbor, so long ago, during those Princess House days! I have to include San Pedro Harbor; the starting point of so much fun and a few somber times. It is also the home of the beautiful Queen Mary. And back to my salty, Oceanside Harbor. Kayaking through the waterways with Bob and the kids and out to the jetty where the fierce ocean waves beckoned us to join them. Renting a small motor boat a few years ago with Sam and my sister, Donna to make our own little cruise back to that jetty...talking about the next time when we would rent a BIG boat and take up the the invitation to crash the waves into the beautiful Pacific (Julie, remember you promised to come next time!!)!! All have the same smells and sounds and always the ever present clang of the cleats and rigging's against the masts...

No comments:

Post a Comment